COVID-19: Transmission Bulletin
28 May – 3 June 2020
Welcome to this COVID-19: Transmission bulletin, compiled by Public Health Scotland’s Knowledge Services team which highlights recent publications and journal articles relating to transmission, high risk and severity of COVID-19.
Some of the items highlighted in this digest are available with an ATHENS username and password only. NHS staff and partners can obtain an Athens password by registering with Athens. https://www.athensregistration.scot.nhs.uk/
Knowledge Services Team
PubMed literature search results
- ARONS, M.M., HATFIELD, K.M., REDDY, S.C., KIMBALL, A., JAMES, A., JACOBS, J.R., TAYLOR, J., SPICER, K., BARDOSSY, A.C., OAKLEY, L.P., TANWAR, S., DYAL, J.W., HARNEY, J., CHISTY, Z., BELL, J.M., METHNER, M., PAUL, P., CARLSON, C.M., MCLAUGHLIN, H.P., THORNBURG, N., TONG, S., TAMIN, A., TAO, Y., UEHARA, A., HARCOURT, J., CLARK, S., BROSTROM-SMITH, C., PAGE, L.C., KAY, M., LEWIS, J., MONTGOMERY, P., STONE, N.D., CLARK, T.A., HONEIN, M.A., DUCHIN, J.S., JERNIGAN, J.A. and PUBLIC HEALTHÂ€“SEATTLE AND KING COUNTY AND CDC COVID-19 INVESTIGATION TEAM, 2020. Presymptomatic SARS-CoV-2 Infections and Transmission in a Skilled Nursing Facility. The New England journal of medicine, 382(22), pp. 2081-2090
- BAKER, M.A., RHEE, C., FIUMARA, K., BENNETT-RIZZO, C., TUCKER, R., WILLIAMS, S.A., WICKNER, P., BELOFF, J., MCGRATH, C., POULTON, A. and KLOMPAS, M., 2020. COVID-19 infections among healthcare workers exposed to a patient with a delayed diagnosis of COVID-19. Infection control and hospital epidemiology, , pp. 1-9
- BORAK, J., 2020. Airborne Transmission of COVID-19. Occupational medicine (Oxford, England)
- CAO, G., TANG, S., YANG, D., SHI, W., WANG, X., WANG, H., LI, C., WEI, J. and MA, L., 2020. The potential transmission of SARS-CoV-2 from patients with negative RT-PCR swab tests to others: two related clusters of COVID-19 outbreak. Japanese journal of infectious diseases
- FRIEDEN, T.R. and LEE, C.T., 2020. Identifying and Interrupting Superspreading Events-Implications for Control of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2. Emerging infectious diseases, 26(6), pp. 1059-1066
- GANDHI, M., YOKOE, D.S. and HAVLIR, D.V., 2020. Asymptomatic Transmission, the Achilles' Heel of Current Strategies to Control Covid-19. The New England journal of medicine, 382(22), pp. 2158-2160.
- HE, W., YI, G.Y. and ZHU, Y., 2020. Estimation of the basic reproduction number, average incubation time, asymptomatic infection rate, and case fatality rate for COVID-19: Meta-analysis and sensitivity analysis. Journal of medical virology
- HO, K.F., LIN, L.Y., WENG, S.P. and CHUANG, K.J., 2020. Medical mask versus cotton mask for preventing respiratory droplet transmission in micro environments. The Science of the total environment, 735, pp. 139510
- LEE, B. and RASZKA, W.V.,JR, 2020. COVID-19 Transmission and Children: The Child is Not to Blame. Pediatrics
- LI, Y., ZHAO, R., ZHENG, S., CHEN, X., WANG, J., SHENG, X., ZHOU, J., CAI, H., FANG, Q., YU, F., FAN, J., XU, K., CHEN, Y. and SHENG, J., 2020. Lack of Vertical Transmission of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2, China. Emerging infectious diseases, 26(6), pp. 1335-1336
- LOTFI, M., HAMBLIN, M.R. and REZAEI, N., 2020. COVID-19: Transmission, Prevention, and Potential Therapeutic Opportunities. Clinica chimica acta; international journal of clinical chemistry
- MINTZ, Y., AREZZO, A., BONI, L., BALDARI, L., CASSINOTTI, E., BRODIE, R., URANUES, S., ZHENG, M. and FINGERHUT, A., 2020. The risk of COVID-19 transmission by laparoscopic smoke may be lower than for laparotomy: a narrative review. Surgical endoscopy
- SEHRA, S.T., SALCICCIOLI, J.D., WIEBE, D.J., FUNDIN, S. and BAKER, J.F., 2020. Maximum Daily Temperature, Precipitation, Ultra-Violet Light and Rates of Transmission of SARS-Cov-2 in the United States. Clinical infectious diseases : an official publication of the Infectious Diseases Society of America
- SOMSEN, G.A., VAN RIJN, C., KOOIJ, S., BEM, R.A. and BONN, D., 2020. Small droplet aerosols in poorly ventilated spaces and SARS-CoV-2 transmission. The Lancet.Respiratory medicine
- WONG, J., JAMALUDIN, S.A., ALIKHAN, M.F. and CHAW, L., 2020. Asymptomatic transmission of SARS-CoV-2 and implications for mass gatherings. Influenza and other respiratory viruses
- ZHANG, Y., LI, Y., WANG, L., LI, M. and ZHOU, X., 2020. Evaluating Transmission Heterogeneity and Super-Spreading Event of COVID-19 in a Metropolis of China. International journal of environmental research and public health, 17(10), pp. E3705.
- BANDI, S., NEVID, M.Z. and MAHDAVINIA, M., 2020. African American children are at higher risk for COVID-19 infection. Pediatric allergy and immunology : official publication of the European Society of Pediatric Allergy and Immunology
- CRUWYS, T., STEVENS, M. and GREENAWAY, K.H., 2020. A social identity perspective on COVID-19: Health risk is affected by shared group membership. The British journal of social psychology
- DOCKERY, D.M., ROWE, S.G., MURPHY, M.A. and KRZYSTOLIK, M.G., 2020. The Ocular Manifestations and Transmission of COVID-19: Recommendations for Prevention. The Journal of emergency medicine
- ENGLMEIER, L., 2020. A theory on SARS-COV-2 susceptibility: reduced TLR7-activity as a mechanistic link between men, obese and elderly. Journal of Biological Regulators and Homeostatic Agents, 34(3), pp. 10.23812/20-221-L-49
- GALLOWAY, J.B., NORTON, S., BARKER, R.D., BROOKES, A., CAREY, I., CLARKE, B.D., JINA, R., REID, C., RUSSELL, M.D., SNEEP, R., SUGARMAN, L., WILLIAMS, S., YATES, M., TEO, J., SHAH, A.M. and CANTLE, F., 2020. A clinical risk score to identify patients with COVID-19 at high risk of critical care admission or death: an observational cohort study. The Journal of infection
- MUELLER, A.L., MCNAMARA, M.S. and SINCLAIR, D.A., 2020. Why does COVID-19 disproportionately affect older people? Aging, 12, pp. 10.18632/aging.103344
- RISCH, H.A., 2020. Early Outpatient Treatment of Symptomatic, High-Risk Covid-19 Patients that Should be Ramped-Up Immediately as Key to the Pandemic Crisis. American Journal of Epidemiology
- TUITE, A.R., GREER, A.L., DE KENINCK, S. and FISMAN, D.N., 2020. Risk for COVID-19 Resurgence Related to Duration and Effectiveness of Physical Distancing in Ontario, Canada. Annals of Internal Medicine
- WANG, C.Z., HU, S.L., WANG, L., LI, M. and LI, H.T., 2020. Early risk factors of the exacerbation of Coronavirus disease 2019 pneumonia. Journal of medical virology
- ZHANG, J., WANG, X., JIA, X., LI, J., HU, K., CHEN, G., WEI, J., GONG, Z., ZHOU, C., YU, H., YU, M., LEI, H., CHENG, F., ZHANG, B., XU, Y., WANG, G. and DONG, W., 2020. Risk factors for disease severity, unimprovement, and mortality in COVID-19 patients in Wuhan, China. Clinical microbiology and infection : the official publication of the European Society of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, 26(6), pp. 767-772
- BELLIENI, A., INTINI, E., TADDEI, E., BALDI, F., LAROSA, L., MURRI, R., RICHELDI, L., BERNABEI, R., CAUDA, R., LANDI, F., CORBO, G.M. and FANTONI, M., 2020. Challenges in COVID-19: is pulmonary thromboembolism related to overall severity? Infectious diseases (London, England), pp. 1-5.
- HAJIFATHALIAN, K., KUMAR, S., NEWBERRY, C., SHAH, S., FORTUNE, B., KRISKO, T., ORTIZ-PUJOLS, S., ZHOU, X.K., DANNENBERG, A.J., KUMAR, R. and SHARAIHA, R.Z., 2020. Obesity is associated with worse outcomes in COVID-19: Analysis of Early Data From New York City. Obesity (Silver Spring, Md.)
- HORMATI, A., GHADIR, M.R., ZAMANI, F., KHODADADI, J., KHODADUST, F., AFIFIAN, M., AMINNEJAD, R. and AHMADPOUR, S., 2020. Are there any association between COVID-19 severity and immunosuppressive therapy? Immunology letters
- HU, J., ZHANG, X., ZHANG, X., ZHAO, H., LIAN, J., HAO, S., JIA, H., YANG, M., LU, Y., XIANG, D., CAI, H., ZHANG, S., GU, J., YE, C., YU, G., JIN, C., ZHENG, L., YANG, Y. and SHENG, J., 2020. COVID-19 patients with hypertension have more severity condition, and ACEI/ARB treatment have no infulence on the clinical severity and outcome. The Journal of infection
- KORAKAS, E., IKONOMIDIS, I., KOUSATHANA, F., BALAMPANIS, K., KOUNTOURI, A., RAPTIS, A., PALAIODIMOU, L., KOKKINOS, A. and LAMBADIARI, V., 2020. Obesity and COVID-19: Immune and metabolic derangement as a possible link to adverse clinical outcomes. American journal of physiology.Endocrinology and metabolism
- LIU, M., GAO, Y., SHI, S., CHEN, Y., YANG, K. and TIAN, J., 2020. Drinking no-links to the severity of COVID-19: a systematic review and meta-analysis. The Journal of infection
- LIU, X., SHI, S., XIAO, J., WANG, H., CHEN, L., LI, J. and HAN, K., 2020. Prediction of the severity of Corona Virus Disease 2019 and its adverse clinical outcomes. Japanese journal of infectious diseases
- MATSUMOTO, K. and SAITO, H., 2020. Does asthma affect morbidity or severity of Covid-19? The Journal of allergy and clinical immunology
- SINGH, A.K. and SINGH, R., 2020. Does poor glucose control increase the severity and mortality in patients with diabetes and COVID-19? Diabetes & metabolic syndrome, 14(5), pp. 725-727
- TIAN, J., YUAN, X., XIAO, J., ZHONG, Q., YANG, C., LIU, B., CAI, Y., LU, Z., WANG, J., WANG, Y., LIU, S., CHENG, B., WANG, J., ZHANG, M., WANG, L., NIU, S., YAO, Z., DENG, X., ZHOU, F., WEI, W., LI, Q., CHEN, X., CHEN, W., YANG, Q., WU, S., FAN, J., SHU, B., HU, Z., WANG, S., YANG, X.P., LIU, W., MIAO, X. and WANG, Z., 2020. Clinical characteristics and risk factors associated with COVID-19 disease severity in patients with cancer in Wuhan, China: a multicentre, retrospective, cohort study. The Lancet.Oncology
- VAKIL-GILANI, K. and O'ROURKE, K., 2020. Are patients with rheumatologic diseases on chronic immunosuppressive therapy at lower risk of developing severe symptoms when infected with COVID-19? Clinical rheumatology
- VERMA, A., KHORSANDI, S.E., DOLCET, A., PRACHALIAS, A., SUDDLE, A., HEATON, N. and JASSEM, W., 2020. Low prevalence and disease severity of COVID-19 in post liver transplant recipients - a single centre experience. Liver international : official journal of the International Association for the Study of the Liver
Please note that the full text of most of these articles can be obtained using an NHS Scotland Athens username and password.
You are eligible for an Athens username and password if you work in Scotland and fall into any of the following categories:
- NHS staff
- Anybody working in partnership with the NHS
You can obtain an Athens username and password by registering with Athens: https://www.athensregistration.scot.nhs.uk/
NHS staff requiring access to full text articles that are not available via this route should contact the library service in their local NHS Board.
Other subscribers should contact us on the number/email address below for further information on how to obtain full text articles.
Knowledge Services Team